Saturday, July 18, 2026

Book 10: The Odyssey by Homer (Translated by Emily Wilson)

I had never read a translation of The Odyssey, and I decided I wanted to before seeing the Nolan adaptation this summer. I'm really glad I did, both because I think that knowing what Nolan chose to do with his adaptation adds to the experience of the movie, and because this translation is incredibly readable and powerful on its own. There is a confidence in using language based on meter more than lyricism, and the simplicity of the language is almost deceptive - this translation doesn't force you to struggle, which makes the impact of the events the language is describing greater at times. Wilson's work made me want to read a whole bunch more, especially her introduction, and that's a sure sign of me being affected by a book. 

Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment