Sunday, October 4, 2026

Book 15: The Wolf at the Door by Charlie Adhara

This month I'm reading a lot of monster-type fantasy in honor of spooky season in between a bunch of nonfiction books I've been meaning to get to, and this is the first one I finished! It's...fine. One part werewolves are real and known and so there's a joint task force of sorts between human police and wolf law enforcement to investigate a string of murders that appear to be wolf-related up in Maine, and one part love story between the new partners who are leading a case together and don't get along! And listen, I've read a metric ton of The Sentinel fanfic, that's a setup that I'm really here for generally speaking. But because you know the genre is romance, you know they're getting together, and the pacing of all of the reveals feels way too slow and just off. It's okay to be a bit ahead of your pov character, but in this case the shoe drops so late for him that he feels much dumber than I think he's meant to be. Both the romance and the mystery at the heart of the story are fine, but this book took the long way to get there. 

Also, the lead character's names just felt wrong for him, I kept reading scenes with seventeen different cops in them and forgetting which one was our guy because the name was so incongruous for whatever reason. A minor complaint, but just one more way in which the book didn't fully hold me. There's a sequel, and I was hoping this would be a fun gay werewolf series for me to read, but unfortunately I think it's a one and done. 

Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment