Monday, May 4, 2026

2026 Master List

I am posting my 2026 Master List in May, which honestly feels pretty appropriate for this year! But it's sunny and warm out, so maybe this is the start I actually need for this project this year.  

I also didn't read a ton of books in the first third of the year, largely because all of my narrative brain space was taken up by two television shows I remain obsessed with, the writing I want to do for both of them, the Olympics, and two other ongoing sports leagues. To put it bluntly, my ability to focus on new books was pretty bad, but less because of everything going on in the world in 2026 and more because I had too much else to focus on. So! I'm not mad about that, even though I do want to read a lot more than I did in the first part of the year. 

Other things! Last year felt like an off year for me reading-wise, but I read 45 new books and 6 rereads, and that's almost one book a week! As is true most years, I read mostly in chunks, and about half of the books on my list were books that had already been on my list at the beginning of the year, and half of them were new additions. That doesn't bode well for the idea of me making a dent in my current list, but well that's the nature of this project. I am also getting better at not finishing books or even just taking a book off the list before even starting it if I feel like it's just not actually what I'm interested in anymore. 

Anyway, here is this year's list! I'm starting with 235 books, and while I do not expect to get to bookcase zero by the end of the year, I would like to end the year with closer to a hundred rather than two hundred. 


  1. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
  2. Sheep Calm and Merry On
  3. The Shots You Take
  4. A Physical Education
  5. Honey Trap
  6. The Larks Still Bravely Singing
  7. Deck the Halls with Secret Agents
  8. Fall into You
  9. Benefit
  10. The Starseekers
  11. Psychopomp & Circumstance
  12. The Language of Liars
  13. The Odyssey
  14. Lives of the Saints
  15. Bury Our Bones in the Midnight Soil
  16. Postwar
  17. Playworld
  18. The Wolf at the Door
  19. Cloud Atlas
  20. Ninth House
  21. Hell Bent
  22. Dead Beat
  23. Land
  24. Bomber
  25. The Shadow of the Wind
  26. I'll Believe in Anything
  27. Seasons of Glass and Iron
  28. The Iliad
  29. Operation Mincemeat
  30. The Raven Scholar
  31. David Bowie Made Me Gay
  32. Midnight Timetable
  33. All the Seas of the World
  34. Written on the Dark
  35. The Song of Achilles
  36. The Power Broker
  37. Long Live Evil
  38. All Hail Chaos
  39. Blood over Bright Haven
  40. Punch Drunk Love
  41. John of John
  42. Dearly Departed
  43. Thirty Love
  44. Last Call
  45. Meet Me in the Bathroom
  46. The Magician of Tiger Castle
  47. Mobility
  48. How to Break Up with your Phone
  49. The Husbands
  50. The Spear Cuts Through Water
  51. The Westing Game
  52. Achilles in Vietnam 
  53. A Shadow Intelligence
  54. The Outer Country
  55. Mairelon the Magician
  56. I Leave it Up to You
  57. Prospero's Cell
  58. The Everlasting
  59. The Red Winter
  60. The Will of the Many
  61. Station Eleven
  62. A Star is Scorned
  63. All is Bright
  64. Bodies of Magic
  65. Exit Party
  66. Every Time a Bell Rings
  67. It Was Her House First
  68. Ravenna
  69. Men at Arms
  70. Guards! Guards!
  71. Jane Austen's Bookshelf
  72. The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps
  73. Spoiler Alert
  74. A Restless Truth
  75. A Power Unbound
  76. The Moor's Last Sigh 
  77. Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries
  78. Niccolo Rising
  79. Death in Venice
  80. The Frugal Wizard's Handbook for Surviving Medieval England
  81. Last Night of the Telegraph Club
  82. The Butterfly Koi
  83. Redshirts
  84. A History of What Comes Next
  85. Patchwork
  86. The Unspoken Name
  87. Supergods
  88. Press Reset
  89. Down the Nile
  90. In Memoriam
  91. The Hands of the Emperor
  92. The Starless Sea
  93. Three Parts Dead
  94. The Marquis Who Mustn't
  95. A Natural
  96. Together We Burn
  97. Five Points
  98. Funny Girl
  99. The Bell in the Fog
  100. Winter's Orbit
  101. Woodworking
  102. Health at Every Size 
  103. Time and Tide
  104. Witchmark
  105. Let Me Tell You What I Mean
  106. Better Than Before
  107. Jane, Unlimited
  108. Game Changer
  109. Heated Rivalry
  110. Tough Guy
  111. Etiquette & Espionage
  112. Common Goal
  113. Role Model
  114. The Long Game
  115. The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  116. The National Team
  117. Empires of the Word
  118. Fellow Travelers
  119. Mike Nichols: A Life
  120. Brideshead Revisited
  121. A World Worth Saving
  122. Why I Cook
  123. A Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking
  124. Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography 
  125. Down Girl
  126. The City of Brass
  127. A Shore Thing
  128. Tooth and Claw
  129. Swordspoint
  130. The Story of England
  131. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  132. Unravel the Dark
  133. Mr Collins in Love
  134. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
  135. Hither, Page
  136. River-Horse
  137. The Tiger's Daughter
  138. The Warrior Heir
  139. The History of England
  140. The Black Company
  141. Most Ardently
  142. The Last Devil to Die
  143. Vinegar Girl
  144. Freed by Flame and Storm
  145. Demoting Vishnu 
  146. My Body
  147. Mo Dao Zu Shi
  148. Gotham Writers' Workshop Writing Fiction
  149. The Emperor's Blades
  150. The Steerswoman's Road
  151. Flying Solo
  152. The Buffalo Hunter Hunter
  153. The Duke Who Didn't
  154. Good and Mad
  155. Unrivaled
  156. Red Sea Under Red Sky
  157. The Republic of Thieves
  158. "More"
  159. The Quantum Thief
  160. Kushiel's Dart
  161. The Infinite Noise
  162. The Office of Historical Corrections
  163. The Widow Queen
  164. The Grace of Kings
  165. The Scottish Boy
  166. Trickster's Choice
  167. The Space Between Worlds
  168. The Blind Dragon
  169. Bitter Medicine
  170. A Memoir of My Former Self
  171. Autonomous
  172. The Alloy of Law
  173. A Darker Shade of Magic
  174. A Gathering of Shadows
  175. A Conjuring of Light
  176. Hagseed
  177. A Sorceress Comes to Call
  178. Invincible
  179. The Golden Mean
  180. I Capture the Castle
  181. A Discovery of Witches
  182. Shadow of Night
  183. The Book of Life
  184. Pictures at a Revolution
  185. Remix 
  186. The Necessary Beggar
  187. The King's Man
  188. Impossible Owls
  189. The Magicians
  190. Witch King
  191. Gardens of the Moon
  192. At Swim, Two Boys
  193. Swordcrossed
  194. A Shadow in Summer
  195. Eve of Darkness
  196. The Power
  197. Manhunt
  198. Dayspring
  199. The Pacific Circuit
  200. Light From Uncommon Stars
  201. Just Like You
  202. The Honey Witch
  203. Giovanni's Room
  204. Harrow the Ninth
  205. Nona the Ninth
  206. Alecto the Ninth
  207. The Vagina Bible
  208. Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
  209. The Paris Apartment
  210. Lessons in Magic and Disaster
  211. Stargazy Pie
  212. Bee Sting Cake
  213. The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry
  214. Yes Please
  215. Rogue Heroes
  216. All the Feels
  217. Das Reboot
  218. The Prisoner's Throne
  219. Prophet
  220. Our Evenings
  221. Forged in Hell
  222. Enlightenment
  223. Hemlock & Silver
  224. Nicked
  225. Double Cross
  226. Spellbound
  227. Sunshine
  228. The Lilac People
  229. From Football to Soccer
  230. Here, There be Dragons
  231. Gift Horses
  232. The Sparsholt Affair
  233. Madly, Deeply 
  234. The Wager
  235. The Appeal
  236. Wayfaring Strangers
  237. Infinite Jest
  238. Alan Opts Out
  239. Beth March Returns from the Dead
  240. Empire of the Steppes
  241. Babel
  242. Mama's Boy
  243. The Three-Body Problem
  244. The Priory of the Orange Tree
  245. Empress of the East
  246. Death in the Spires
  247. Middlegame
  248. Making Movies
  249. A Spy Among Friends
  250. House of Government
  251. Effingers
  252. A Suitable Boy
  253. Angel Down
  254. The Letters of Noel Coward
  255. All the Birds in the Sky
  256. Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers
  257. Killers of the Flower Moon
  258. Truthwitch
  259. The Traitor Baru Cormorant
  260. Why We Swim
  261. Joseph and His Brothers
  262. Big Friendship
  263. The Bright Sword
  264. Cinder House
  265. Agent Sonya
  266. New Spring
  267. A Place of Greater Safety

Rereads: 

A Marvellous Light
Bound by Blood and Sand
The Lies of Locke Lamora
Gideon the Ninth

No comments:

Post a Comment